BC Hockey announced December 3, 2010 that Vancouver North East Chiefs forward Matthew Bissett (Maple Ridge, BC) has been named the Major Midget League Player of the Month of November. Bissett led the Chiefs with 10 goals and 9 nine assist in eight (8) games in the month for November.
The Chiefs currently occupy 6th place in the MML standings. The team’s surge up the MML standings in the month of November has positioned them for a strong run in the last three (3) months of the season. Bissett’s leadership will be called upon during this stretch.
“After getting out of the gate slow to start the season, Matt has taken the lead in the Chiefs’ successful November with our team above 500 at the half way point of the season,” said Vancouver North East Chiefs head coach Doneau Menard. “His offensive contribution has been a big part of our 6-2 record in the month.”
As well as being named Player of the Month, Bissett will receive an exclusive gift from Easton on his selection. He was chosen from a high calibre list of nominees for this prestigious award. The runners up in no particular order are as follows:
- Cariboo Cougars – No Nomination
- Vancouver North West Giants – Cam Marks
- Greater Vancouver Canadians – Garret Forster
- Valley West Hawks – Trevor Cox
- Kootenay Ice – No Nomination
- South Island Thunderbirds – No Nomination
- Okanagan Rockets – Josh Ellis
- Thompson Blazers – Wade Moyls
- North Island Silvertips – Jordan Clark
- Fraser Valley Bruins – Donnie Toews
The BC Hockey Major Midget League was established in 2004 to provide elite level 15, 16 and 17 year olds an opportunity to play within their own age group. Playing at this high level and be developed for the next level of hockey. These teams have an opportunity each year to compete for the National Midget Championship.