Friday, October 09, 2015
This year’s edition of World Girls Hockey Weekend is set to take place from October 9 – 11, 2015, and more than 1600 females are expected to participate in plenty of exciting events in BC.
In addition to the Long Game
, which will see five (5) continuous games start in Newfoundland and Labrador and travel through every province before coming to an end in BC, dozens of events will be taking place around the province. These include:
- Canucks Female Hockey Celebration: The Vancouver Canucks will celebrate female hockey at their home opener on October 10, 2015 at 7:00PM against the Calgary Flames. Alyssa Wellar of Semiahmoo Minor Hockey will skate in warm-ups with the Canucks and join them on the blue line for the national anthem, and the North Shore Female Atom team will play a game during the first intermission at Rogers Arena. Additionally, BC Hockey will participate in “Community Corner”, promoting female hockey programs near Section 111 on the concourse.
- Victoria Minor Hockey Association (MHA) will host a “Female Fun Day” with players from Victoria and Saanich MHA. Adult players from the area are also invited to come out for fun sessions at 2:30PM on October 10, 2015 at Save On Foods Memorial Arena.
- Saanich MHA is hosting a “Bring a Friend” session, as well as skills sessions for Novice, Atom, Pee Wee, and Bantam players at 2:30PM on October 11, 2015 at Pearkes Arena.
- The Vancouver Girls Hockey Association (Vancouver Angels) are hosting two (2) Esso Fun Day sessions on October 12, 2015. New skaters are invited to try out hockey at Killarney Arena at 8:30AM or 10:15AM.
- The Pacific Coast Amateur Hockey Association is hosting a “Girls Rock Hockey” event on October 12, 2015 at the Langley Sportsplex. There are “Bring A Friend” and beginner skills sessions at 12:00PM, goalie clinics at 3:15PM and 4:45PM, and exhibition games.
Several tournaments and regularly scheduled league games will also be taking place over the weekend.
For more information on the events mentioned above, refer to our World Girls Hockey Weekend event poster
on BC Hockey’s Female Player page. Keep an eye the action on Twitter using the hashtag #WGHWCanada and following @BCHockey_Female
to see what is happening at events around BC and the rest of the country.
Hockey Canada and BC Hockey are proud to be a World Girls’ Hockey Weekend leaders. For more information on female hockey across Canada, please visit hockeycanada.ca/femalehockey