BC Hockey / Hockey Canada processes for the current season
I. Tournaments Sanction Permit
A. Applying for a Sanction Permit
- Go to the BC Hockey Tournaments page and click on 'Host a Tournament'
- Please review the 'Important' section.
- Complete all fields.
- When completed, click 'Submit' - PLEASE BE SURE TO ONLY CLICK SUBMIT ONCE.
- A reference number will be assigned to each tournament request. This is your Tournament Sanction Permit Reference Number (ie. 2014-2015-241). This number MUST be on all correspondence relating to this application.
- Review items II through VI below and submit any additional necessary forms.
B. Printing Your Tournament Sanction Permit
- Please allow 7 - 10 business days for the processing of your tournament request.
- Upon approval of the sanction request, an email will be sent to the email address entered on the online form. This email will include the URL of the sanction permit which can be copied and pasted into the address bar of your browser. A link to the sanction permit will also appear on the BC Hockey Tournaments page.
- Print off the number of copies that you require.
- Repeat this process for each application to print each sanction off separately.
C. Tournament Completion and Follow Up Reports
- On the last day of the tournament, an email will be sent to the tournament contact advising that the tournament follow up report is due.
- Complete the online follow up report as indicated in the email. Once submitted, BC Hockey will use the information provided for invoicing.
- If the tournament contact does not receive the follow up email, he/she should contact the BC Hockey office at firstname.lastname@example.org to rectify this issue.
D. Important Notes
- PLEASE DO NOT SEND PAYMENT TO BC HOCKEY PRIOR TO RECEIPT OF AN INVOICE FOR THE TOURNAMENT. The BC Hockey office will invoice you according to the finalized information in your follow up report.
- When sending payment to the BC Hockey office, the tournament permit number and invoice number must be clearly noted so your payment can be posted accordingly.
- Please note that there is a $50 administration fee for all applications submitted and subsequently cancelled.
- Tournament sanction applications must be completed at least 30 days prior to the start of the tournament IF all teams participating are members of Hockey Canada and/or USA Hockey AND no more than two (2) Hockey Canada Branches are represented.
- If the tournament will include one (1) or more teams from outside Hockey Canada and USA Hockey, or include teams from three (3) or more Hockey Canada Branches, the tournament sanction application must be submitted at least 90 days prior to the start of the tournament.
- A list of officials working the event is to be submitted to your Officiating Coordinator. A copy should be kept with the host association's office. Failure to comply may result in disciplinary action by BC Hockey.
- All BC Hockey sanctioned tournaments are posted to the BC Hockey Tournaments page.
II. Interbranch Tournaments
All interbranch tournaments require the online process to be completed. In certain circumstances, an additional form may need to be completed. A BC Hockey member hosting a tournament that involves teams from three (3) or more Hockey Canada Branches (teams from BC Hockey plus teams from two (2) other provinces) should complete and submit an Interbranch Tournament Sanction Form 90 days prior to the start of the event.
III. International Tournaments
BC Hockey members wishing to host an international tournament must initially apply to host the tournament through the process outlined in 'Tournaments Sanction Permit' above. In addition, if the tournament will include non-Hockey Canada teams from any country, other than the United States, an International Tournament Sanction Form must be submitted at least 90 days prior to the start of the event. Additional requested material must be included.
Please note: If the incoming international team (from countries other than the United States) will be playing any games other than those in the tournament, an IIHF Tour Sanction Form must also be completed and submitted to the BC Hockey office. Please see below 'IIHF Tours (Incoming and Outgoing)'.
IV. IIHF Tours (Incoming and Outgoing)
An IIHF Tour Sanction Form must be completed by IIHF teams (other than USA Hockey) traveling to play in Canada and BC Hockey teams traveling outside Canada to play IIHF teams outside Hockey Canada and USA Hockey. It is recommended that the form and all additional requested material be submitted to the BC Hockey office at least 120 days prior to the team leaving or entering the country.
BC Hockey teams traveling to the United States to play should refer to 'Traveling to Tournaments Outside Your District, Province or to the United States' below.
V. Traveling to Tournaments Outside Your District, Province or to the United States
BC Hockey teams traveling to tournaments outside their district, to other Hockey Canada Members or to the United States, must complete an Interdistrict & USA Hockey Tournament Travel/Exhibition Game Sanction Request and submit it to the BC Hockey office at least 7 - 10 days prior to the first day of travel.
VI. Travel Insurance Information
BC Hockey teams traveling outside of the province or country should review the Out of Country Competitions document.
If you have any questions regarding the above processes, please contact the BC Hockey office.