Lead, Develop and Promote Positive Lifelong Hockey Experiences.
We know that hockey is best when it is enjoyable, respectful, and sportsmanlike.
We are honest, transparent, and accountable.
We are welcoming, collaborative, and inclusive.
We believe in safe, high quality, and innovative hockey experiences.
Who We Are
BC Hockey is a non-profit organization and member of Hockey Canada, providing stewardship of amateur hockey at all levels in British Columbia and Yukon. Approximately 130 Minor Hockey Associations plus Junior and Senior teams, 60,000 players, 4,500 referees, 10,000 coaches, 20,000 official volunteers and countless others make our great game possible here in Pacific Canada.
Our purpose is to work together – all of us – in the pursuit of our Mission. In doing so we adhere to our Values, and we remember that hockey is a form of play. Hockey is a game. Participation in hockey adds value to our lives and to our communities. Hockey is a positive contributor to the physical, mental, and social well being of those who participate in, and help to deliver, our game.
Our common purpose includes dedication to creating and maintaining an ecosystem for our game to grow and thrive, so that the benefits of participating in hockey may continue. Some of the tasks we undertake in the pursuit of our stewardship goals include:
- To foster, improve and perpetuate the game of amateur hockey in BC and Yukon.
- To develop sport participation through thoughtful recruitment and retention initiatives.
- To encourage safe participation and effective administration of the rules of the game, as adopted by the Society.
- To supervise and carry out competitions for the championships of BC Hockey.
- To promote, advance and conduct the operation of the Hockey Canada Insurance Program, as a means of benefitting members.
- To emphasize, encourage, and celebrate the involvement of all volunteers who are critical to the safe delivery of our game.
- To elevate awareness of the responsibility of all of us, including parents, in ensuring the game is played in a positive environment.
- To assist members in their pursuit of excellence by taking a service-first and member-first approach to all initiatives.
- To use resources wisely in providing effective programs and services.
- To monitor and review our services, benefits, and programs in order to meet the ever-changing needs of our members and of grassroots hockey.
- To advocate for our game and for our Society, with a common voice on behalf of membership, in matters that affect all of us at the local, provincial, national, and international level.
- To dedicate ourselves to the advancement of amateur hockey for all individuals in BC and Yukon that wish to participate.
- To seek, and advocate for, the resources essential for the continued safe delivery of our game.
- To actively promote and support equal access to hockey programs and services for all regardless of gender, sexual orientation, ethnic origin, racial origin or any of the other ways that we differ from one another.
We gratefully acknowledge the financial support of the Province of British Columbia.