6.01 PURPOSE OF THIS POLICY
b) The Privacy Officer’s identity will be fully disclosed and publicly accessible to BC Hockey members and the public in general. The “Branch / Association”’ Privacy Officer is Jeremy Ainsworth and can be contacted at email@example.com.
c) The BC Hockey Privacy Officer will ensure that BC Hockey manages all personal information in its possession in accordance with this policy including that which may be transferred to a third party. (Third party organizations who handle information on behalf of BC Hockey shall be contractually obligated to adhere to the standards of “Branch / Association”).
• Security measures at all levels designed to protect personal information in our possession.
• Implementing procedures designed to respond to complaints and/or inquiries.
6.03 IDENTIFYING PURPOSES, TYPE OF INFORMATION COLLECTED AND WEBSITE
BC Hockey shall only collect the information reasonably necessary to conduct hockey programming. Access to our Privacy policies and procedures will be readily available. Similarly, the process by which challenges may be made to BC Hockey compliance and/or adherence to the legislation in question shall be readily available and transparent. To obtain further information, contact the BC Hockey Privacy Officer.
b) BC Hockey collects personal information from prospective members, members, coaches, officials, managers and volunteers for the purposes of conducting hockey programming. Specifically:
• A player’s name, address and date of birth are collected to determine that the player’s geographical, division of play and level of play information are consistent with Hockey Canada/Branch regulations.
• Historical information concerning past teams played for is collected in order to determine if any of the BC Hockey transfer regulations may apply. • Information concerning an individual’s skill level and development and feedback on programs is collected to measure the success of our programs in order that we may better plan future programs.
• Information as to a player’s parents’ name, address, telephone numbers and email addresses may be collected in order to facilitate emergency contact information as well as to ensure compliance with the BC Hockey residency regulations.
• Educational information may be collected in order to ensure all of the BC Hockey residency regulations have been adhered to.
• Email addresses may be collected for the purposes of facilitating membership communication related to upcoming events and programs.
• Information about skill levels, ability, emergency contacts and health to ensure our activities are carried out in a safe and secure environment.
• Personal information collected for the purposes of hockey registrations may also be used for hockey specific research purposes including but not necessarily limited to hockey demographic type research.
• Affiliates. BC Hockey has numerous organizations, which offer hockey programs under their auspices. These include, but are not necessarily limited to the Canadian Hockey League, Vancouver Canucks, University Sport, Hockey Canada and provincial and local Branches, associations, and leagues. Hockey Canada, its Branches and/or Associations may disclose the personal information described above to all of these organizations in order to facilitate hockey programming and ensure compliance with rules and regulations.
c) BC Hockey will endeavour through associations/leagues to advise potential registration candidates of the purpose for the collection of the data requested at the time of registration or by reference to our website at www.bchockey.net or the local Association/Branch website. We will further endeavour to ensure that all collectors of the personal information are familiar with the potential use of the personal data. All personal data collected by BC Hockey shall be maintained in either our office(s) and/or with the Privacy Officer.
d) BC Hockey will request individually permission for the use of any personal data collected which is extraneous to that which has been identified above, unless said usage is authorized by law.
e) BC Hockey may also use information about an individual who accesses secure areas of www. bchockey.net or other member Branch/Association websites. Information you are asked to provide during your use of our website may include your name, address, email address, age, sex [and the other types of personal information listed above). All such personal information will be treated within the same parameters as other personal information collected by BC Hockey through other means. It is always your choice to provide information in certain fields although failure to complete certain sections may inhibit your ability to fully access all areas of the website. Our website also collects non-identifiable information about users such as the users IP address, the sections of the website visited and the information downloaded. BC Hockey may use this non-identifiable information and disclose it to service providers, for system administration purposes and to improve the website.
b) In addition to using personal information for hockey programming purposes, BC Hockey may from time to time wish to use member name, address and contact information for the purposes of providing promotional opportunities, including by providing the information to the BC Hockey branches, leagues and associations and other third parties who BC Hockey believes provide services or goods that may be of interest to you. BC Hockey and any such third parties may contact you to with promotions [or to provide further hockey specific communications and association/league Branch information updates]. BC Hockey will provide an opportunity for the member to consent to these opportunities during the registration process. If you consent but later wish to opt out of this use of information later, you may do so by contacting BC Hockey.
c) BC Hockey recognizes that hockey by its nature is a contact sport and injuries are to a certain extent inherent in the game. We believe medical records, medical history and medical forms of the individual may be of assistance in an emergency situation and therefore we may request them. While our members and prospective members are under no obligation whatsoever to supply this information, and may refuse to do so without penalty, BC Hockey will consider receipt of this information as consent for its subsequent use in an emergency medical situation.
d) If at any time you wish to withdraw your consent to the use of your information for any purposes, you may do so by contacting the Privacy Officer for BC Hockey. We will do our best to accommodate your request in a timely fashion without diminishing the services we provide to you. We will explain to you the impact of your withdrawal on any services we provide to you.
e) BC Hockey may collect personal information without consent where reasonable to do so and where permitted by law.
6.05 LIMITING COLLECTION
b) BC Hockey shall not indiscriminately collect information. The amount and type of information we collect shall be limited to that which is required to fulfill our identified purposes.
c) BC Hockey will not use any form of deception in gaining personal information from its members.
6.06 LIMITING USE, DISCLOSURE AND RETENTION
a) Subject to applicable legislation, BC Hockey shall limit use of personal information it collects to purposes that we have disclosed in Sections 6.03 (Identifying Purposes) and 6.04 (Consent).
b) BC Hockey shall maintain documents for certain periods of time dependent upon necessity. More specifically:
• We will normally maintain registration data for a three-year period after an individual has left our programs in the event that an individual chooses to return to our programs after leaving.
• Parental/family information will be normally maintained for a similar three-year period after a member has left our programs.
• Affiliates. BC Hockey has numerous organizations that offer hockey programs under the auspices of “Branch/Association”. As explained above, BC Hockey may from time to time share information with these Branches, associations, and leagues in order to facilitate hockey programming and ensure compliance with rules and regulations.
• BC Hockey may disclose your personal information to a government authority that has asserted its lawful authority to obtain the information or where the association has reasonable grounds to believe the information could be useful in the investigation of an unlawful activity, or to comply with a subpoena or warrant or an order made by the court, person, or body with jurisdiction to compel the production of the information or otherwise as permitted by applicable law.
• BC Hockey may at its discretion release personal information for the purposes of collecting debts that may be owed to BC Hockey.
c) Certain documents may be subject to legislated retention periods either federally or provincially and these will be respected at all times by BC Hockey
a) BC Hockey shall strive to ensure to the extent it can that the information entrusted to us is maintained in an accurate manner. We shall try to maintain the interests of the individual and attempt to ensure that decisions are not made for or about an individual based on personal information that is flawed.
b) BC Hockey shall only update information in the event of a renewal or registration and/or an update.
a) Security safeguards have been implemented to ensure your personal information is protected from theft as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification thereof.
b) The level of safeguards employed shall be directly related to the level of sensitivity of the personal information collected. The more sensitive the information, the higher the level of security employed.
c) Methods of protection and safeguards to be employed shall include but in no way be necessarily limited to locked files, offices and storage areas, security clearances and need to know access as well as technological measures such as passwords and encryption.
b) The information available includes:
• The name, address, and phone number of the BC Hockey Privacy Officer.
• Please forward any requests to firstname.lastname@example.org
• A description of the type of personal information held by BC Hockey and our general uses thereof. This includes:
– Registration information, including name, date of birth, address, past teams played on, medical information and email addresses.
– Information used for scouting, potential sponsorship opportunities, donors, alumni and information retained for the purposes of the BC Hockey business contacts.
6.10 INDIVIDUAL ACCESS
a) Subject to applicable legislation, upon request by the individual concerned BC Hockey shall disclose whether or not it actually holds personal information on an individual. We shall disclose the source of this information when requested and provide an account of third parties to whom the information may have been disclosed.
b) BC Hockey may request sufficient information to confirm your identity before releasing your personal information to you.
c) Subject to applicable legislation, BC Hockey shall endeavour to provide this information within 30 days of receipt of the information requested and only charge nominal fees for the purpose of offsetting its expenses incurred in supplying the requested information. This information shall be provided in an understandable format at the time you make a request.
d) Any inaccurate information that is brought to our attention shall be corrected by BC Hockey as quickly as possible and any pertinent third parties shall be apprised of the corrections in due course
6.11 CHALLENGING COMPLIANCE
b) Upon receipt of a complaint BC Hockey shall make available the complaint procedures that will be simple and easy to access.
c) BC Hockey shall investigate all complaints. If the complaint is deemed justified BC Hockey shall take the appropriate steps to ensure that compliance is achieved and will make changes to its policies to allow for compliance in the future.
d) All complaints shall be addressed to the BC Hockey Privacy Officer.